Saturday, August 6, 2016

Let Children Be Children ...and play with JUNK!





Let Children be Children........ and play with JUNK!!

When I was a child we played with JUNK, I mean real JUNK. We had toys, I'm sure... Just none so beloved that I can remember them.

We had the freedom to roam and to collect. Oh man.... the collecting was just as much, if not more fun, than the "play".






We took our tasks so seriously, we all actively and collaboratively set out on great adventures to find just the right piece of JUNK to build our "club house" or "hide out".

We raided the back dumpsters of the strip mall that backed up to our neighborhood and drug all kinds of treasures through the lot, up the road, and into the woods, our very own jungle.. where we could plan and plot and PLAY



I don't remember many fights, I don't remember much sadness.. I do remember the feeling of FREEDOM, ADVENTURE, CREATIVITY, BELONGING, LEADERSHIP, POWER, and CONNECTION that I felt as I played with JUNK.

These feeling are what made me who I am today...

Who am I today? you ask...

A person who provides these same JUNK FILLED opportunities for children so that they may feel the same feeling of ADVENTURE, CREATIVITY, BELONGING, LEADERSHIP, POWER and CONNECTION that I felt as I played with JUNK

1 comment:

  1. Keish,
    I am very inspired by your work. so thrilled I discovered your this website and Play empowers. I have started to transform my backyard into a junk yard!

    ReplyDelete